Clarence L. Warner was born in McKinley County, Wisconsin on June 16, 1923. His family move to the Brainerd area in 1931, and at the age of 17 he joined the Civilian Conservation Corps. Through this program he received instruction at East Lake, Minnesota in metal working, painting, and truck driving. Clarence was discharged from the Civilian Conservation Corps on January 19, 1942. In March 1943, he enlisted in the U. S. Army and was assigned to the 1033rd Guard Squadron based in Tullahoma, Tennessee. During the war, he served in France and Germany with Company A, 505th Military Police Battalion. After the conclusion of hostilities, the 505th Military Police Battalion was assigned to serve as garrison of Vienna. On February 26, 1946 Clarence Warner left France to return to the United States. On March 13, 1946 he was discharged from the U.S. military. In May 1947 Clarence joined the Minnesota National Guard with the 194th Tank Battalion until his discharge from the National Guard in 1950. At the time of his discharge he worked as a car-man with the Northern Pacific Railroad Company.